There’s no need to sacrifice style to treat your tootsies right. Use these tips to choose high-fashion shoes that are good for you.
Dr. Judith F. Baumhauer, a spokesperson for the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society and an orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle care, says there are certain qualities that make a shoe great for you. Here are Dr. Baumhauer’s shopping tips for finding smart shoes:
- The shoe’s sole should be made of a shock-absorbing material such as rubber or cork.
- The upper portion should be made of expanding materials such as soft leather.
- The widest portion of the sole should match the width of the ball of your foot.
- Your heel should fit snugly into the back of the shoe.
- Get both feet measured--the size and shape of each foot changes with age. Buy for the larger foot, if needed.
- Shop at the end of the day when your feet have expanded.
- Go where a reputable salesperson is available for sizing.