Skip those paper or styrofoam cups and bring your own coffee mug to work.
Jennifer Davick, Beth Dreiling Hontzas / Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey, Buffy Hargett / Food Styling: Marian Cooper Cairns, Norman King
Think Before Your Ink
Approximately 10,000 sheets of letter paper are used by every U.S. worker each year. You can lessen that load by printing on both sides of the paper and opting to save documents electronically instead of printing.
- BYOC: Save space in the landfill and the resources and energy required to make those disposable vessels by bringing your own cup or coffee mug to work.
- Flick the Switch: Turn off all unnecessary lights when you leave for the day.
- Get an Office Mate: They’re not only easy on the eyes, but an indoor plant can also filter certain airborne pollutants and replenish your workspace with a human-friendly gas―oxygen.
- Spread the News: We’ve only scratched the surface here of all the ways we can lessen our impact on this planet. Share these ideas with your coworkers, and in turn, they may share a few with you.
- Night, Night: At the end of the workday, turn off your computer or at least put it to sleep or in “hibernate” mode. The latter can save as much as 70% of the power used if the computer was left on.