You likely already know that a solid night of slumber entails approximately seven to nine hours of sleep … but what you may not know is the other bases you should be hitting to really rest easy.
- Healthy Habits You Should Adopt in Your 30s
- 12 Relaxing Quotes to Help You Sleep At Night
- Here’s What Happens When You Get Too Little Sleep
The info is based on findings from 277 peer-reviewed sleep studies, which were analyzed by sleep experts from different health organizations.
The Huffington Post reports on four main metrics, which include:
- Taking 30 minutes or less to drift off (unless age 65 or older, in which case, up to an hour is acceptable)
- Spending under 20 minutes total awake throughout the night
- Not waking up more than one time per night for more than five minutes (or two times per night for those age 65 or older)
- Sleeping for at least 85 percent of the time you’re in bed
Looks like catching those Zzz’s the right way is a little more nuanced than we thought. If the list seems daunting, though, have no fear: “Just because you aren’t able to perfectly meet these four guidelines, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have poor-quality sleep,” said Sabra Abbott, a neurologist at Northwestern Hospital who spoke with the Huffington Post. The metrics are just something you should be shooting for.
Check out these relaxing bedtime quotes before hitting the hay.
Abbott said to ask yourself if you’re feeling tired throughout the day, or if you have “any reason to think you could be getting better sleep.” If so, discuss your sleep habits with your primary-care doctor.