Dance Your Way to Fitness
“Dance training changes the way you move and the way you carry yourself,” says Ofelia de la Valette, owner of Atlanta’s Dance 101. “It improves self-esteem, self-confidence, and self-image, and that’s a powerful thing.”
Dance 101 is filled with students at all ages and skill levels, including women who have never set foot on a dance floor. “Everyone can benefit from dance, regardless of age, weight, or fitness level,” Ofelia says. “Dancing is like taking a mini vacation from the stress of the everyday―you have to be in the moment.”
- LA GRANGE, KY: All That Dance Studio: allthatdancelouisville.com or 502-671-7874. Emphasis on ballroom dancing, with a 3,000-square-foot dance floor.
- ROCKVILLE, MD: Rendezvous Social Dance & Fitness Club: dance911.com or 301-468-2582. Ballroom dance and dance aerobics (includes a wide variety of styles).
- ATLANTA, GA: Dance 101: dance101.org or 404-542-3887. Offers “Discover”-level classes for beginners, as well as more advanced options. Popular classes include Hip-Hop Ballet and Latin Jazz.
- NASHVILLE, TN: DanceQuest: dancequestllc.com or 615-333-1551. Offers partner dances ranging from the Viennese Waltz to the 1970s favorite The Hustle.
- DALLAS, TX: Move Studio: movestudio.com or 972-732-0206. Offers a variety of classes from Bollywood Funk to Cardio Latin.