Richard's Sloppy Joes
Ralph Anderson / Styling: Rose Nguyen / Food Styling: Pam Lolley
- Richard's Sloppy Joes
- Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
- PB & Chocolate Pan Cookie
In 30 minutes, you can whip up these warm, tasty sandwiches. Plus, you'll have time to make a homemade honey-mustard salad
dressing. If you have another 30 minutes, you can put together and bake the Shepherd's Pie variation, leisurely make the dressing,
and even mix up the pan-cookie dough. (Bake dessert while you eat.)
Change It Up
Take the Sloppy Joe ground beef base, and make it into a casserole that's big enough to serve your family and a couple of
Sloppy Joe Shepherd's Pie:
- Prepare Richard's Sloppy Joes, omitting hamburger buns; spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Prepare 1 (22-ounce) package frozen mashed potatoes according to package directions. Stir in 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar
cheese, 1/3 cup sliced green onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread evenly over meat mixture in casserole
dish, spreading potatoes to edge of dish.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes; sprinkle 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese on top of potatoes. Bake 5 more minutes or
until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Makes 8 to 10 servings. Prep: 10 min., Bake: 30 min., Stand: 5
"What's For Supper? Double-duty Sloppy Joes" is from the March 2006 issue of Southern Living.