Bite into a fresh, juicy strawberry. While these bright-red berries can be found in the supermarket year-round, springtime yields the sweetest, most flavorful fruit. Here are five simple recipes to get you started, as well as 20 ideas for indulging in these berries all season long.
- Strawberry-Spinach Salad
- Strawberry Lemonade
- Billie's Favorite Strawberry Milk Shake
- Strawberry-Mint Milk Shake
- Strawberry Soup
Related: 16 Fresh Fruit Salad Recipes
After rinsing the fruit under cool water and patting them dry, try some of these fun ways to savor them.
No-Cook Ways To Enjoy Strawberries
- By themselves.
- Accompany berries with good-quality dark chocolate or warm chocolate sauce.
- Accompany with Champagne.
- Layer sliced strawberries in parfait glasses with nonfat vanilla yogurt and granola.
- Spread lemon curd on pound cake slices; top with sweetened strawberries and whipped cream.
- Toss sliced strawberries with lemon juice and fresh mint. Serve over vanilla ice cream.
- Sandwich peanut butter and strawberry and banana slices between two vanilla wafers.
- Dip in lemon yogurt.
- Spread cream cheese frosting on ladyfingers; top with sliced strawberries.
- Toss sliced strawberries with sugar, and serve over pound cake with chocolate syrup.
- Drizzle cubed pound cake with orange liqueur; layer in glasses with vanilla pudding and sliced strawberries. Top with sweetened whipped cream.
- Enjoy a peanut butter sandwich filled with sliced strawberries.
- Stir together 2 cups sour cream and 1⁄2 cup brown sugar; dip strawberries.
- Dip in powdered sugar.
- Slice over cereal.
- Slice over oatmeal.
- Drizzle sliced strawberries with balsamic vinegar and sugar; sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Drizzle with lime juice, and sprinkle with sugar and salt.
- Dip in orange liqueur and powdered sugar.
- Spread orange marmalade on toasted English muffins, and top with sliced strawberries.
Kitchen Assistant Search:
25 Ideas for Strawberries" is from the April 2006 issue of Southern Living.