Your guests won't be able to resist the subtle smoky flavor of Sweet-and-Spicy Chipotle Chicken Wings.
Van Chaplin and Charles Walton IV / Styling by: Alan Henderson and Cari South / Food Styling by: Rebecca Kracke Gordon
High on Heat
I sampled many of these hot sauces straight out of the bottle. As I write with a glistening forehead and ruddy cheeks, here's my take on some. (Did I mention antacids make terrific palate cleansers?) After taking an informal coffeepot survey, I learned that Crystal, Tabasco (all flavors), and Louisiana Hot Sauce are tops with our staff.
- Bruce's Original Louisiana Hot Sauce: super fiery--gotta love high heat.
- Buffalo Chipotle Mexican Hot Sauce: smoky and not too hot; great in mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, or on grilled corn on the cob.
- Cajun Sunshine: tangy flavor, not too hot.
- Cholula Hot Sauce: smooth, tangy, and very flavorful; great on wings, quesadillas, omelets, French fries, and in cheese dip.
- Crystal Hot Sauce: perfect blend of heat, tang, salt, and chile flavor. My absolute favorite; I can't eat pizza without it.
- Hot Wachula's Cranberry: subtle cranberry flavor and very tasty; great for marinating meats or as a vinaigrette base.
- Jump Up and Kiss Me Spicy Passion Fruit Sauce: sweet, hot, and contains no salt; great for sodium-restricted diets. Try it in vinaigrette-type dressings.
- Mango Tango Sauce: subtle mango taste and very spicy; great over black beans and rice or in creamy coleslaw.
- Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce: milder than the original with a tangy, lemon-like flavor; great over scrambled eggs, chicken chili, and quesadillas.
- Texas Pete: not too hot and lots of flavor. Good and salty, and tastes great on wings, tater tots, and fried fish. The company has a wing sauce too.
- Tiger Sauce: sweet, spicy, and loaded with flavor; try with grilled lamb chops or pork soft tacos.
Add a Dash
Here's what else is good with a bit of heat tossed in.
- pimiento cheese
- fresh pineapple, cucumber, and jícama
- creamy and broth-based soups
- steamed veggies
- tuna, potato, pasta, or egg salad
- deviled eggs
- smoked brisket