Get The Look: Rustic-Casual Christmas
The natural shades of grasscloth wallpaper are the perfect backdrop for an organic decorating scheme. Grasscloth’s texture adds a sense of warmth to a room. Try painting window trim and molding a rich color to add interest.
- Get the Look: The Wallpaper Company 20.5” W Beige Grasscloth Wallpaper, $44.98 per bolt; homedepot.com
Flat weave cotton rugs are as durable as they are affordable – they’re easy to maintain, so a small investment will go a long way. Stripes work well in both traditional and modern settings. This rug’s brown tones set a warm tone.
- Get the Look: Chocolate Ticking Woven Cotton Rug, $344 (8’ x 10’); dashandalbert.com
Try a contemporary spin on a very traditional shape. An angular wing chair, with clean lines and simple squared legs, is both sleek and classic. William Sonoma Home’s version comes in your choice of faux suede, velvet, or linen upholstery.
- Get the Look: Anderson Wing Chair, starts at $1,250; wshome.com
Try your hand at DIY Christmas decorations. This room’s homespun stockings are easy to make with inexpensive burlap fabric and humble twine. One yard of fabric yields about 2 large stockings, and you’ll also need a needle with an extra-large eye.
- Get the Look: Utility Burlap Natural Fabric, $3.99 per yard; hancockfabrics.com
Instead of artwork above the mantel, add a sense of dimension with a large wheel. For a holiday touch, try lacing the wheel with simple cypress garland.
- Get the Look: Authentic Antique Wagon Wheel by Groovystuff, $499; rockymountaindecor.com
The woven raffia basket at the base of the tree is wide enough to fit a standard tree stand, and tall enough to obscure the tree trunk. The basket’s height lifts the branches and clears lots of room at the base of the tree for gifts.
- Get the Look: Extra-Large Round Beachcomber Basket, $129; potterybarn.com
Add a bit of subtle shimmer to the neutral tree with silvery-gray mercury glass ornaments in various sizes. Antique mercury glass can be pricey, but this set is available for a song.
- Get the Look: Etched Mercury Glass Ball Ornaments, $18 (set of 6); ballarddesigns.com
The white snowflake ornaments are a nod to winter and a graphic touch to the tree décor. Save a few to tie-on to presents or bottles of wine to bring to holiday dinner parties.
- Get the Look: Glitter Ornaments, $16 (set of 6); potterybarn.com
In addition to basic craft paper and solid white wrap, incorporate shades of bronze and silver into your packaging. A bit of sheen will keep your gifts from looking dull.
- Get the Look: Crinkle Metallic Paper, $4.95 per sheet; papermojo.com
Use this sturdy ribbon to hang ornaments to the tree and to tie up gift packages. A 100-yard roll will certainly last throughout the holiday season.
- Get the Look: Paper Wraphia Natural, $6.50 (100 yards); paper-source.com