We gave our butterflies a liftoff by attaching fluttering wings. You can choose to keep it simple with a flat shape, or try our technique for a three-dimensional design.
- Purchase any size butterfly cookie cutter.
- Prepare dough as directed, and cut out an even number of butterfly shapes. Insert craft sticks as directed into half of butterfly shapes, and set aside.
- Cut remaining half of shapes vertically down the middle with a knife, creating 2 identical wings.
- Bake whole butterflies and wings as directed, and cool. Decorate all cookies; let stand 1 hour.
- Attach a right and left wing with Easy Microwave Frosting to center of each whole butterfly, propping each wing at an angle with a ball of aluminum foil to create a fluttering effect. Dip pretzel sticks in Easy Microwave Frosting and attach at the top to form antennae. Let cookies dry completely, and remove foil.
Mix up some soft spring colors with these quick combinations. Be sure to use liquid food coloring, as pastes and powders tend to produce a grainy texture and uneven color.
- Mint Green: Stir together 4 (2-ounce) melted vanilla candy coating squares and 4 drops liquid green food coloring.
- Butterfly Blue: Stir together 4 (2-ounce) melted vanilla candy coating squares and 1 drop liquid blue food coloring.
- Pale Yellow: Stir together 4 (2-ounce) melted vanilla candy coating squares and 2 drops liquid yellow food coloring.
- Easter Bunny Pink: Stir together 4 (2-ounce) melted vanilla candy coating squares and 1 drop liquid red food coloring.