Cozy Christmas Dinner
photo: Scott Counce dresses up the front door with an antique grape-picker’s basket filled with fragrant branches and pinecones.
photo: Pinecone candles give the dinner table a warm glow. Use extra serving pieces to complement the color palette and provide protection, if needed, from dripping wax.
Try these tasty, budget-friendly wines with this festive menu.
- Goat Cheese-Pesto Crostini: Praxis, Sauvignon Blanc, California; Willamette Valley Vineyards, Pinot Gris, Oregon
- Pork Loin Roast With Carolina Apple Compote: McWilliam’s, Hanwood Estate Chardonnay, Australia; Smoking Loon, Chardonnay, California; DeLoach, Pinot Noir, California; Columbia Crest, Grand Estates Merlot, Washington
- Combine natural elements such as cut branches, sticks, pinecones, and birds’ nests with twine and galvanized buckets for a rustic presentation.
- Light candles 10 minutes before guests arrive or before sitting down for dinner.
- Look for opportunities to add a wreath in unexpected places such as on cabinets, mirrors, or small interior doors.
- Dress up a store-bought wreath by combining several complementary shades, textures, and lengths of ribbon.