You won’t be left out of any of the festivities with our Test Kitchens Director’s make-ahead brunch.
Up to two months ahead:
- Bake Cranberry-Orange Tea Bread Muffins, but leave them unglazed. Freeze in a zip-top plastic freezer bag.
- Make Candied Kumquat Slices for muffins. Cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let stand at room temperature.
- Make Gruyère Cheese Sauce for Gentlemen’s Casserole. Cover and chill.
- Make Winter Fruit Compote, and chill.
- Bake puff pastry shells for Gentlemen’s Casserole. Store at room temperature in a zip-top plastic freezer bag.
- Make Kane’s Peppery Bloody Mary.
- Make Orange-Cream Cheese Glaze.
- Thaw muffins at room temperature; top with glaze and kumquat slices.
- Reheat puff pastry shells on a baking sheet at 350° for 5 minutes.
- Microwave Gruyère Cheese Sauce.
- Scramble eggs, and fold in Cheese Sauce.