Maintain your energy throughout the afternoon by packing yourself a vibrant midday meal.
- Pork-and-Black Bean Power Lunch
- Cuban Salsa Verde
- Potato, Bean, and Yogurt Soup
- Sweet Chili-Lime Noodles With Vegetables
- Sweet Chili-Lime Sauce
These recipes will help you create healthy and tasty lunches that won’t cause an afternoon meltdown. Prepare the dishes up to two days ahead and store in the refrigerator. If required, you can heat them up in a microwave, and they will be ready to eat in minutes. Add fresh fruits or veggies, nuts or cheese, and a sensible beverage, and you’ll stay productive throughout the workday.
- Nuts are rich in monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, and omega-3 fatty acids, helping to reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol and protecting against heart disease.
- The calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium found in dairy products help develop and maintain bone density, reducing the risk of bone fractures and delaying the onset of osteoporosis.
"Power Up Your Lunch" is from the August 2008 issue of Southern Living.