Staying healthy during cold and flu season can be as simple as fixing nutrient-packed meals. Test Kitchens Professional Alyssa Porubcan researched nature's most healthful foods, and then created these fresh and flavorful recipes that help protect your body against illness. Best of all, they taste amazing and are easy to prepare. For a dose of vitamin C, try our Fresh Fruit With Lemon-Mint Sauce. Or dig into Beef-and-Butternut Squash Chili for a satisfying meal with a surprising kick that is sure to ward off the sniffles.
Cold and Flu Fighters
Stock up on these immunity boosters to help protect your body against illness and aid in healing.
- Beta-carotene: butternut squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, spinach, broccoli
- B Vitamins (folate and B12): spinach, legumes, peanuts, whole grains, leafy green vegetables, eggs, milk
- Vitamin C: oranges, grapefruits, strawberries, green peppers, cabbage
- Vitamin E: peanuts, sunflower seeds, eggs, spinach, whole grains, vegetable oils, poultry
- Zinc: fish, poultry, beef, pork, eggs, cheese, milk, peanut butter, whole grains
This article is from the January 2006 issue of Southern Living.