When I asked fellow editors and foodies what the quintessential sheet cake is, chocolate was one emphatic response. Others swooned over the idea of coconut with lots of frosting. All this only reinforced what I already knew: Everyone loves a sheet cake. They're perfect for casual gatherings because they truly are quick, simple, and easy to transport.
Here we offer some basic (and easy) recipes, including a classic Mississippi Mud Cake--a luscious combination of chocolate, pecans, and marshmallows. Test Kitchens Professional Rebecca Kracke Gordon carefully tested each of these recipes and offers her tips.
Easy Sheet Cake Recipes
- Mississippi Mud Cake
- Chocolate Frosting
- Coconut Sheet Cake
- Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting
- Strawberry-Lemon Sheet Cake
- Strawberry-Lemon Filling
Sheet Cake Tips
- For the smoothest frosting, freeze cake for at least 30 minutes; then frost. Freeze layers right on the wire rack or on a cookie sheet. If you're not using them right away, wrap frozen layers well in plastic wrap.
- Cream of coconut can be found in the ethnic food or drink mixers section of supermarkets.
- Mix homemade batter by hand for a more tender and moist cake.