This wondrous, Wonka-esque dessert buffet celebrates one of the South's most iconic flavors in creative new ways. And yes, you're going to need a bigger dessert plate.
A dessert buffet is certainly not a new phenomenon, but this eye-catching one stands out among the sugary fray thanks to an inventive, distinctly Southern menu and a graphic color palette that manages to feel sophisticated, not saccharine. We particularly love how the crimson desserts pop against the milky white tableware. Add a sugary sound track and you and your guests are all set for confection perfection.
Here's another reason to bubble over with excitement: We partnered with Minted to create custom paper goods for each of our parties, all designed by Southerners. In addition to invitations, you'll find banners, centerpieces, stickers, and more at minted.com/el/southernliving
This place card only looks high-end. Back a simple white card with patterned paper and then thread with sumptuous red velvet ribbon. When wrapped around white dinnerware, these crafts store finds are instantly elevated.
Add a dusting of cinnamon or freshly ground nutmeg to make this warm beverage your own.
For this majestically elevated dessert, make four batches of the madeleines recipe.
Make these sweet snowflake garnishes by tracing snowflake templates on wax or parchment paper with royal icing. Let them dry
at room temperature and peel off.
If you're a peppermint lover, use peppermint oil instead of extract. You can find it at cake supply stores and a little goes
a long way.
This cake bakes best in four pans. If you need additional pans, use 8-inch aluminum foil disposable pans. Just be sure to
place them on a baking sheet for stability.
1. Kiltlifter red nail color, $15; scotchnaturals.com
2. Striped paper straws, 8 cents/each; thinkgarnish.com
3. Charlotte clutch, $275; elaineturner.com
4. Signature Stud skinny cuff in black and calf hair, $38/each; cwonder.com
5. Aldo's Hazelnut Biscotti, $11; deandeluca.com
6. Oslo red velvet skinny jeans, $198; mih-jeans.com
7. Faux-bois guest book, $45; casparionline.com
8. Incanto white scallop creamer and white stripe sugar bowl, $65 and $90; vietri.com
9. Port Wine Caramel sauce, $8; sweeteethchocolate.com
Download our party playlist and get started on the right note: