A buttery-rich scone is nothing more than a glorified biscuit—made even more delicious with our sweet and savory twists.
• Quickly cut ice-cold butter into the flour mixture, leaving crumbly pieces the size of small peas. If the butter is softened or cut in too finely, the texture of the scones will be dense and coarse.
• Handle the dough as little as possible—the less you work it, the more tender the scones will be.
• Add a sweet Vanilla Glaze: Whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. milk, and 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract until smooth, adding up to 2 tsp. additional milk for desired consistency. Drizzle over tops of scones.
• Make Bite-Size Scones: Pat dough into 2 (4-inch) rounds. Cut rounds into 8 wedges. Bake as directed for 12 to 13 minutes.
• Sprinkle scones with sparkling sugar before baking.