Easy, Irresistible Scones
Recipe: Best-Ever Scones
Omit sugar. Stir in 3⁄4 cup (3-oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cooked bacon, 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives, and 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground pepper with the cream.
- Recipe: Bacon, Cheddar, and Chive Scones
Substitute brown sugar for granulated sugar. Stir in 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted pecans with the cream.
- Recipe: Brown Sugar-Pecan Scones
Omit sugar. Stir in 3⁄4 cup (3 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese and 3⁄4 cup finely chopped baked ham with the cream. Serve warm with Mustard Butter: Stir together 1⁄2 cup softened butter, 1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard, and 1 Tbsp. minced sweet onion.
- Recipe: Ham-and-Swiss Scones
Stir in 1⁄4 cup sweetened dried cranberries and 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped roasted salted pistachios with the cream.
- Recipe: Cranberry-Pistachio Scones
Omit sugar. Stir in 3⁄4 cup (3-oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese and 3 Tbsp. finely chopped pimiento with the cream.
- Recipe: Pimiento Cheese Scones
Omit sugar. Stir in 3⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh pear, 1⁄2 cup grated Asiago cheese,and 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary with the cream.
Stir in 1⁄4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped, and 2 oz.coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate with the cream.
- Recipe: Chocolate-Cherry Scones
• Quickly cut ice-cold butter into the flour mixture, leaving crumbly pieces the size of small peas. If the butter is softened or cut in too finely, the texture of the scones will be dense and coarse.
• Handle the dough as little as possible—the less you work it, the more tender the scones will be.
• Add a sweet Vanilla Glaze: Whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. milk, and 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract until smooth, adding up to 2 tsp. additional milk for desired consistency. Drizzle over tops of scones.
• Make Bite-Size Scones: Pat dough into 2 (4-inch) rounds. Cut rounds into 8 wedges. Bake as directed for 12 to 13 minutes.
• Sprinkle scones with sparkling sugar before baking.