Toast to the Derby
- Roasted Brown-Butter Pecans
- Spring-on-a-Plate Salads
- Assorted Vegetables with Whipped Lemon Aïoli
- Biscuits and Ham with Fig Chutney & Blue Cheese Butter
- Watercress Canapés
- Derby Truffles
- Mint Julep Bar
Make two batches of these salty but slightly sweet pecans if you have a large crowd. You can store them in an airtight container up to 3 days, or freeze up to 1 month.
Look for tender, fresh baby greens and microgreens at your local farmers’ market; they should be abundant this time of year. Soaking vegetables in ice water crisps them up.
- Recipe: Spring-on-a-Plate Salads
Indulgent and lightly flavored, this dip is the perfect partner to colorful spring veggies such as green and purple endive; assorted radishes; and blanched, chilled asparagus and haricots verts (tiny green beans).
- Recipe: Whipped Lemon Aïoli
Fluffy Cream Cheese Biscuits with Figgy Port Chutney, Blue Cheese Butter, and Ginger Ale-Brown Sugar Smoked Ham make up this delectable Derby sandwich.
Three leavening ingredients—yeast, baking powder, and baking soda—ensure light biscuits every time.
- Recipe: Fluffy Cream Cheese Biscuits