You get what you pay for is a statement that best applies to items such as sushi or mattresses; shampoo is not one of these. Southern women, much like French gals, know that drugstores hold some of the best beauty buys from dependable moisturizers (s/o Embryolisse) to affordable micellar water. When it comes to shampoo, we too, like to keep things simple. In the end, all we’re looking for is clean hair that submits to our styling whims.
These five drugstore shampoos will not only match up to more expensive options, they’ll leave you with enough cash to splurge on styling products that really make a difference like Oribe Balm D’Or or Christophe Robin Purifying Scrub. It’s all about that high-low, y’all.
- Why Big Hair Will Always Be In Style Down South
- 4 Hacks to Make Your Hair Color Last Way Longer
- How to Handle Hair in Humidity
Pretty Much all the John Frieda Shampoos: It’s hard to pick just one from Mr. Frieda’s arsenal from his color-specific formulas that blondes and redheads swear by to the cult-status legend Beach Blonde Cool Dip that resulted in some women getting the vapors after it was announced that it was making a comeback following an almost decade-long hiatus.
Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo: This one goes out to all the dry shampoo lovers out there. Whether you’ve hit your hair with the spray four or 14 times over the course of the week, you’ll need a clarifying shampoo to get rid of all that buildup. This option from Neutrogena is like the Liam Neeson in Taken of shampoos. It may not have fancy packaging, but it does have a very particular set of skills.
But-for-serious PSA moment: Don’t hit that dry shampoo too often. It can lead to breakage and potentially hair loss. We’re just going to leave this piece from The Atlantic here.
4. Acure Organics Volume Shampoo: If you think the terms eco-friendly and ineffective go together like Bo and Luke when it comes to shampoo, this volumizing formula will change your mind. Bonus: it’s cheap enough that you can buy the coordinating conditioner.
5. Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Shampoo: Ladies with curly, naturally textured hair love this wash for its trifecta of mega moisturizing, super softening and shine-imparting properties--all for the price of a Hamilton.