Call us biased, but we think Southerners are pretty witty, from the great comedians that have come out of the South to our insightful and clever writers. Plus, everyone knows a joke is just plain better when delivered with a Southern accent.
So as it turns out, you don’t have to look much further than Twitter for a wealth of silly Southern antics. Social media is ripe with Southern humor, from grandparents reacting to Snapchat to witty horoscopes and, of course, there's Mama. And now that we’re knee-deep into football season, we’ve noticed one of our favorite trending hashtags has been resurrected again—the infamous “hate week.” Depending on whose colors you wear, you probably have a hate week of your own—#AuburnHateWeek, #LSUHateWeek, #TennesseeHateWeek, and #BamaHateWeek.
- 6 Things You Loved About Growing Up in the South
- Southern Grandparents React To Snapchat
- 10 Reasons Why Coach Taylor and Tami Taylor Are Our Relationship Goals
This all got us thinking about some of our other favorite funny hashtags that perfectly capture a certain Southern humor. Plus, we’ve come up with a few we think should exist—help us out?
Our current favorites:
- #SouthernProblems: Perfect for co-commiserating about hot summers, un-sweet tea, and Chick-Fil-A being closed on Sundays.
- #GrowingUpSouthern: You learned real quick the danger of forgetting a "sir" or "ma’am" after your "yes" and "no"'s.
- #OnlyInTheSouth: We all know the South is a special, albeit odd, place. Living here just comes with its quirks. It’s why we love it after all, right?
- #(Insert Team of Choice)HateWeek: Nothing wrong with a little friendly fire one week (er, season…) out of the year, right?
And a few hilarious Southern hashtags we wish existed…
- #TamiTaylorTuesday: I mean, she’s our #WomanCrushWednesday every week, why not give her her own day?
- #WaffleHouseWednesday: Now that we have #TamiTaylorTuesday out of the way, Wednesday can be re-devoted to the great Southern institution that is Waffle House. Who needs crushes when you can have waffles?
- #BlessedByHumidity: Good for the skin, not so much for freshly tamed frizz. We can at least sympathize together?
- #FinishedPlate: All those perfectly plated, immaculately lit food shots are great. But you know what’s more impressive than capturing your on-trend food stylings? Cleaning your plate to Grandma’s approval